KC/DC Cycle

Ride to live... live to ride

Friday, August 20, 2010

I took the long way home last night up Beach drive north to near Twinbrook. This is a fairly regular route for me. This adds 20 miles to my ride. The route is great because there are TONS of cyclists who are on this road. It goes in a park and has a good trail next to it. I'm sure a lot of cars avoid it during the daylight because there are so many bikes. On the weekends major sections of the road are closed to motor vehicles, which diminishes use because you can't get very far without going into neighborhoods. The Rock Creek Park in which Beach Drive resides is a National Park and kept very rustic.

Last nights ride was at a time when a racing group meets at the far end of my route and then proceeds along my route returning south. There were about 20 members of that group and they whizzed past me. I caught up when they stopped at lights. It is wonderful to be able to ride on roads that bike dominate. "If you don't like bikes get off the road!".

The weather was perfect and I worked out pretty hard.

I've been sustaining a dream that began while I was reading posts from crazyguyonabike.com. I want to travel the Silk Road from Europe to China. Certain Asian countries are difficult in terms of security, but the idea of living on a foreign road and interacting with passersby fascinates me.
  • Most of the trip is barren and difficult which satisfies some of my requirements to find solitude and experience myself. 
  • I want to challenge myself physically with mountains and deserts. 
  • I want to interact with other cultures
  • I want to see the effect industrialization has on Chinas environment first-hand
I will offer music if I bring my backpacker guitar. I will do portraits with pencil/pen on paper. I want to develop some photographic skills.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger obi_donkenobi said...

Hi Steve! Cool blog - thanks! I cringed when I read about Karen's run-in with the cab door. I live in mortal fear of that happening to me one of these days. I'm so paranoid about it, I really pay attention for visual/aural clues to such an event, but I know - all it takes is one distracted moment and - BAM! Knock on wood, it hasn't happened, yet.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home