KC/DC Cycle

Ride to live... live to ride

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

From the accomplishment of learning to ride a bike and the enjoyment of developing those skills to the physical challenge of going further on a journey bicycling has been a joy. I still enjoy the exhilaration of reaching to peak of even a 100 foot high hill. When the bicycle disappears and becomes part of my journey I've reached a level of deep satisfaction. I'm not worried about selecting a gear or what to do if I flat I'm just on a journey.

The journey becomes a series of breaths that I can focus on. I am totally aware of my body like a yogi. I can pursue another cyclist, select a hill to climb or go into rest stage. During these times my mind sets aside my daily worries and preoccupations. My life is transformed into 'here and now'.

My choices of what to do with a journey are only limited by who I am. My life is constrained by fatherhood of two fairly grown children, spousal needs, and employment/home ownership. I could take off on a ride all night if I wanted to be tired at work the next day. I don't like to pay that price.

During my life journey I look for challenges like certain hills I know. I look for day trips or longer multi-day extended vacations. I dream of taking interesting photographs and drawing portraits of interesting strangers. I dream of cycling in a foreign land and performing personal 'diplomatic missions' as a western citizen.

I enjoy sharing my cultural heritage with others. I have a small backpacking guitar I'd like to carry along and perform with to communicate where words are inadequate.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home