KC/DC Cycle

Ride to live... live to ride

Monday, March 25, 2019

Increasing human value

We could increase productivity, employment figures in two ways. One way I can give you a personal example of. I graduated high school and did not finish college for 25 years. I am smart, just somehow got discouraged and didn't finish for a long time. The degree I finished with was in Computer Science. Until I finished that degree I worked in offices in DC or menial jobs in restaurants. I did not excel in those jobs. I barely survived.

I had the capacity and intelligence for 25 additional years to be a computer programmer but without the degree I was stuck. It's not that those other jobs are bad jobs but my productivity in those jobs and my income were trivial. I was not lazy. I did not complain. But I could have achieved greater things for myself, my family and the country

If I had been able to transition from high school to college more smoothly I could have been programming long ago. A series of events occurred that propelled me to finally finish. One was that I lived at home at one point, same address and first/last name as my dad and the credit card company gave me $2000 credit card which I didn't deserve.

At that point why fight it? I used the credit to invest in myself. I bought a computer and programming software. I worked on learning C++. I was not successful but I felt good investing in myself. A few years later I was laid off from my job processing insurance claims. They were moving 1500 miles away. I was able to get unemployment and a very small grant for college.

One of the crashes I had in college was finishing Calculus. I was always excellent in math but failed and dropped out at UMD because of Calculus. That was a required course in Computer Science. Now I know that one of the issues was the large lecture hall class size. I was in a lecture of 150 students. I felt lost and unable to get help for myself.

I started back full time this last time and immediately dove into Calculus and a full load of Computer Science courses. This Calc course was small, maybe 20-25 students. It was Calculus for Engineering so it required proofs. Not only was the class size small but the prof was my age and very congenial. I ended up getting A's. It built up my confidence and ego which had been crushed over the years.

From my experience and from talking to other I know I'm not the only one to be less productive and challenged and confident than we should be. Not only from my personal travails but from knowledge of oppression of my fellow Americans. I'm talking about racism. Our country could be more productive if we provided excellent education to all and made greater efforts to bring it to ===all=== at the highest level possible. To me there's nothing more satisfying than going into a school classroom that has great facilities.

While everyone suffers from this bribery scandal Black people suffer from a lack of economic ability and other factors that get them to complete a University degree. There's a striking disparity between races and completion of a Bachelors degree. We're losing valuable resources. We're losing great minds. We're losing wonderful ideas. We need to value everyone and live the dream that's been written in the constitution but applied only sparingly. We all deserve a better world and we can make it happen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home