KC/DC Cycle

Ride to live... live to ride

Friday, April 19, 2019

Fix racism by traveling

I was talking to a FB friend about racism and he believes that after traveling extensively he is free from racism. Here is my response:

what concerns me about your statements on racism is that you have a simplistic view on racism as if you can shed it on a whim. 'Travel the world and it will disappear' was one suggestion of yours. Another seemed to be if you just don't fill your life with hate you're good. From my experience it's much more complicated than you let on. From my experience and from others I have worked with our self-perception is sometimes tragically out of sync with reality. It's very difficult to see our own character. That is one of the biggest challenges in my life. We also have a different definition of racism. It's not a personal choice. That's only part of it. Racism is an embedded point of view and encompasses the world. I focus on our US version because it's so complicated. Thru time, as I mentioned before, people have believed the impact of racism was over. Your idea that you're not racist is not a new one. Many people have believed this. Do you believe you're not sexist too? What other ills have you shed by traveling or giving up hate?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home