KC/DC Cycle

Ride to live... live to ride

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

injury recovery

How do you recover from injury? I had two minor injuries that were not bike related. I have had a few wrecks over the years that kept me off the bike for a short period, but I am older now and these minor injuries laid me up almost 6 months. The first was a muscle pull from stretching too hard in yoga. It presented as a pain in the center of my chest. Of course I thot it was a heart attack or something heart related. I finally went to the doctor and everything was normal. I realized later it was from pushing too hard in the yoga pose. As that was healed after at least two months I fell in the dark when there was a noise in the house. I banged my shoulder. When I finally went to the doctor they said it was rotator cuff tendonitis. That has taken 3 or 4 months to heal. I would try to ride but my route has speed bumps and they would jar my shoulder and put me in great pain.

So the recovery - beyond the pain my recovery seems so slow. I definitely haven't been able to do my old ride that I did two or three times a week. I do about half the ride. I am able to ride to the top of the mountain but not over the other side and back. I seem to be more susceptible to the oppressive heat now. I can't sprint very well when I want to. Sometimes I think age is finally getting the best of me. I've never been a week without a bike ride. This is most of 5 or 6 months.

I'm looking for thoughts or ideas of what next steps should be. I'm recovering, but I'm feeling old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home