KC/DC Cycle

Ride to live... live to ride

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Have you worn out or totaled a bike?

I totaled a 1980 Austro Daimler Vent Noir after I had it for 15 years. I had just test rode another bike I was thinking of buying. I was coming down a big hill anticipating the climb ahead. I had a clear lane thru the intersection and a bus blocked those turning right. A car hopped out in front of me from behind the bus. I swerved left and missed that car. There was another car in the left lane. I swerved further left and missed that car and went head on into an oncoming truck. No helmet, but I was clipped in which absorbed the impact but it pushed my forks back which ultimately bent my frame in two places: top tube and down tube.

Prior to that I jumped in front of a car on a left turn as a teenage. That impact bent the fork of my Schwinn Continental. I was able to bend them back and use the bike again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home